Hello, I'm a 27 year old female and have been

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 27 Feb 2019 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, I'm a 27 year old female and have been having some odd symptoms here lately. Background information: In 2009 I had a partial thyroidectomy due to a tumor that was benign. I continued to take the medication after a while after surgery and then I stopped having insurance so I stopped taking the medication. I have had blood taken to test my thyroid levels a few years ago and the general physician at the time says they are normal even though I hadn't taken the medication in so long. She reported that they sort of just leveled out to my body. I also had a miscarriage one year ago this month. It did not pass on it's own so I had to take the medication to expell it. I then got an infection that put me in the hospital resulting in them again giving me the medication to expell the rest that was left and filling me with antibiotics. Fast forward to today: I have not had a period in 3 and a half months. Have taken 4 pregnancy tests and all are negative. I have been short of breath and just been feeling not like myself. Frequent confusion. Frequent headaches. Extremely tired and sick at my stomach. I have a history with major depressive disorder and anxiety. I dont know if I am crazy or it's my depression that is just my depression symptoms are getting worse.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It appears like anxiety, provided all blood work and physicals unremarkable

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using 'Ask A Doctor' service.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description, there is a possibility that you are still trying to cope with miscarriage and absence of periods over the last few months despite negative pregnancy tests. I must inform you that it is normal not to have periods for a few months after miscarriage especially when there was intervention with medications or dilation and curettage. This often lasts for three months and rare cases it can go up to six months.

Shortness of breath, bloating, frequent confusion, frequent headaches, stressed out and feeling sick is often the manifestation of anxiety for someone who had a history of anxiety and depression in past. I must be stressed out here that the above statement is applicable provided the blood work and physical examination was unremarkable.

In my opinion, the first thing is stress management at this level. There is a good possibility that stress management alone can help you to deal with ongoing problems.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee