Hello. I was treated for a UTI (with microscopic hematuria

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: Hello. I was treated for a UTI (with microscopic hematuria) with antibiotics. Did a follow up urine test after the antibiotics and the infection was gone but still had microscopic hematuria. I am a 51 year old female with no other health issues except diverticuli. I have never smoked. I was referred to a Urologist. I had a cytology of the urine which was negative. I then had a abdominal and pelvic ultrasound which was negative. I then had a cystoscopy. The cystoscopy showed a slight irritation next to my right ureter and a possible tiny tiny spot (papule?). The doctor said it was soo soo small that he couldn't even make out what it was and he normally can see everything with a cystoscopy. He said due to the small size he couldn't even tell what it was. So I am having a biopsy and the doctor is just taking/scraping it out. He said that it wasn't even detected on ultrasound and that it is soo soo small. He just said to me don't worry and if it is anything it is so small and it will be gone and I will be fine. Obviously he couldn't say any more because he doesn't know what it is. I am worried about this even though with the two negative tests it could just be a papilloma or other benign growth. I have no other symptoms like pain or anything. I have no cancer in my family. Just worried and trying to reassure myself that it is soo soo tiny that it is probably nothing serious.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably a benign polyp in the ureter, you should not be worried about .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I understand you concern.

Your symptoms seem to be related to a polyp of the ureter.

Polyps of the ureter are benign tumors. They are very common, especially at your age.

Hematuria is one of the common symptoms that they may have.

Urinary tract infection can be one of the possible causes, the exact cause is not well known.

The treatment consists in endoscopic resection.

Through the biopsy the doctor will confirm the benign nature of the lesion.

The prognosis of these lesions is very good so I suggest you not to worry.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T