Hello, I was recently prescribed an antibiotic called Augmentin 1000
I was recently prescribed an antibiotic called Augmentin 1000 because of a skin infection. Soon after I started taking it, I developed diarrhea, wherein the stools were water instead of actual stool (I was passing water). The problem started on Wednesday night. It is now Friday and I am still passing water after I eat anything. My doctor advised me to take eldoper twice a day.
What medication should I take to stop the diarrhea? Please help.
Antibiotic associated diarrhea
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
You are suffering from antibiotic associated diarrhea.
Augmentin is known to cause diarrhea.
If the symptoms are only mild -
1. Stop Augmentin after discussing with your doctor and switch to another safer antibiotic
2. Continue taking eldoper as advised
3. Drink enough fluids to remain well hydrated.
If the symptoms are severe -
1. Take T.Metronidazole 400 mg three times a day for 10 days.
2. Take probiotic supplements
3. Stop Augmentin after discussing with your doctor and switch to another safer antibiotic
4. Drink enough fluids to remain well hydrated.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Elevated SGPT, SGOT and triglycerides. Taken Heptral and Udiliv. Please...
- Tiredness, loss of concentration, blood test shows low hemoglobin...
- Bloated upper abdomen, burping, history of chronic pancreatitis. Have...
- Blood test shows typhi and paratyphi positive. What does it mean?
- Abdominal pain, itching. Clean blood test. History of breast cancer. Are...
- Abdominal pain, done blood test and ultrasound. Kindly interpret results
- Tailbone pain, bruise on stomach, sore lower abdomen. Anything to worry...
- Constant nausea, negative pregnancy test, have Mirena IUD. Ovarian cyst?
- Poked eye with umbrella spoke. Eye gets sore and red. What do you...
- Diagnosed with chlamydia. Is it contagious through oral sex?