Hello I took antibiotics on an empty stomach for 5

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: Hello I took antibiotics on an empty stomach for 5 days and now have very bad Indejestuin and heartburn ( never had this before ) it’s making me nausea. Do you think I have a ulcer from the antibiotics
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ulcer unlikely , more.like gastritis

Detailed Answer:
HI and Welcome to Ask A Doctor service. I have read your question and here is my advice.
Many medicines do cause some gastric proplems including vomiting, nausea gastritis .Antibitocs also commonly causes gastric upset .However stomch ulcer is quite uncommon with antibitocs..Your symtpoms also are very unlikely to be that of peptic ulcer .Peptic ulcers more likely causes pain deep in the stomach of long duration.Antibiotics rarley causes ulcer .
The symtoms you said are more like you have gastritis which means irritation of the stomch which is quite common with drug including antibiotics.
You don't need to worry it's very unlikely to be an ulcer .I would suggest you should take some over the counter antacids like Gaviscon syrup 2 spoon 2 to 3 times a day .Also use some acid supression drugs like Omeprazole once a day.I am very hopefull , this would settle in few days .I would also advise to avoid spicy foods and pain killers which may worsens the matter.
If things don't get better with in a few days or you have severe vomiting or severe pain then you should see your doctor but that's all unlikely
Hope I have answered your question. I will be glad to answer any further question about this. Please don't hesitate to ask anything else you need to know. kind Regards Dr Rahman.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T