question-icon

Hello, I Just Ate Some Dried Fish Jerky And Realized

default
Posted on Fri, 24 Jul 2020
Question: Hello, I just ate some dried fish jerky and realized there was white mold on it. I promptly went and threw up as much as I could and took activated charcoal pills. Will I be ok?
doctor
Answered by Dr. AJEET SINGH (52 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Ingesting small amounts-white mold hardly cause any symptoms/health risks.

Detailed Answer:
Hi....
Welcome to "Ask a Doctor" service.
I am Dr Ajeet XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and here is my opinion.

White mold is toxicogenic i.e produce toxins (called mycotoxins) and cause health risks if ingested.
The symptoms caused may include allergic reactions,nausea,vomiting, dizziness,headache, respiratory irritation and infections.

But usually small amounts of mycotoxin hardly cause any symptoms/health risks.

Avoid foods contaminated with white mold as much as possiblebut accidental ingestion of small amounts should not probably cause any harm.
Nevertheless be watchful for the symptoms and get medical assistance,if they develop at all.

Hope that I have answered your query.

Stay healthy and stay blessed.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. AJEET SINGH

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 2151 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Hello, I Just Ate Some Dried Fish Jerky And Realized

Brief Answer: Ingesting small amounts-white mold hardly cause any symptoms/health risks. Detailed Answer: Hi.... Welcome to "Ask a Doctor" service. I am Dr Ajeet XXXXXXX I have gone through your query and here is my opinion. White mold is toxicogenic i.e produce toxins (called mycotoxins) and cause health risks if ingested. The symptoms caused may include allergic reactions,nausea,vomiting, dizziness,headache, respiratory irritation and infections. But usually small amounts of mycotoxin hardly cause any symptoms/health risks. Avoid foods contaminated with white mold as much as possiblebut accidental ingestion of small amounts should not probably cause any harm. Nevertheless be watchful for the symptoms and get medical assistance,if they develop at all. Hope that I have answered your query. Stay healthy and stay blessed. Regards.