Hello! I have what appears to be bilateral swellings in

Dr. Rajat Basak

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sun, 10 Feb 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello! I have what appears to be bilateral swellings in the back of my throat. (Behind the palatopharyngeal arch?) I have had a rough sinus season but currently have no symptoms except the feeling of mucus or thick saliva when I swallow occasionally. I have a photo but not sure how to attach? Thank you!
Follow up: Dr. Rajat Basak 5 minutes later
here is the photo :)!
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hii. The swellings behind the palatopharyngeal arches are the tonsils. Tons

Detailed Answer:
Hii. The swellings behind the palatopharyngeal arches are the tonsils. Tonsils are present in all human body. It is evident from the history given by you that you are having allergic rhinosinusitis and pharyngitis. Thick mucus in the throat may be coming from the back of the nose or it may be due to allergic pharyngitis and acid reflux. Start taking fluticasone nasal spray,antiallergic tablet at night,omeprazole tablet before food. Start betadine gargle,steam inhalation. Drink plenty of fluids. Sleep after 2 hr of dinner.It will take 3 week atleast to get effect from medicine. Please revert if you have any queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rajat Basak 6 hours later
Ok thank you, will try those recommendations. I am familiar with tonsils (anterior to the arches) I have dealt with tonsil stones on and off over the years, but wasn’t sure about it also being tonsil tissue behind the arch as well. Thanks for the advice.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hii. Don't worry it's the tonsils.

Detailed Answer:
Hii. Don't worry it's the tonsils. Please follow the advice and review if you have any queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj