question-icon

Hello. I have inadvertently left a tampax in for 2

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2019
Question: Hello. I have inadvertently left a tampax in for 2 weeks. There was a bad smell and lots of clear discharge. The tampax came out today and I was advised on the phone to go to hospital. I went to a and e where I was seen by a nurse who took urine and checked my blood pressure and temperature. They then advised me to go to the urgent care centre as they didn’t think I needed to be in hospital. However after waiting for 2 hours I needed to leave as had to pick up my daughter. I am now at home (10 30pm) and I’m planning to go back first thing in the morning. I’m just really worried something may happen to me in the night. Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question here...
Answered by Dr. Prasad (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It's ok to wait...

Detailed Answer:

Infection and sepsis was a risk when the tampax was left unattended. The bad smell and lot of discharge indicated it was getting infected. Now that the tampax is out, body defence should be able to over power the infection. If there is a necessity antibiotics will be prescribed to you by the doctor.

Since you are alright now and do not report of fever/chills, abdominal pain and discharge, I guess the risks of getting into sepsis is low. You may wait until the morning to see a doctor. Discuss about the need for antibiotics.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Prasad