Hello. I have inadvertently left a tampax in for 2

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2019 in Women's Health
Question: Hello. I have inadvertently left a tampax in for 2 weeks. There was a bad smell and lots of clear discharge. The tampax came out today and I was advised on the phone to go to hospital. I went to a and e where I was seen by a nurse who took urine and checked my blood pressure and temperature. They then advised me to go to the urgent care centre as they didn’t think I needed to be in hospital. However after waiting for 2 hours I needed to leave as had to pick up my daughter. I am now at home (10 30pm) and I’m planning to go back first thing in the morning. I’m just really worried something may happen to me in the night. Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question here...
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. The most biggest thing we worry about with a retained tampon is an infection called toxic shock syndrome. Now that the tampon is out, the risk of getting now is small, and as long as you don't have any symptoms such as high fever, muscle aches, vomiting, diarrhea, or rash on your palms and soles of your feet, it should be safe to wait until the morning to go back to the urgent care. It sounds like you do still have an infection, but not one that would be urgent as the one I described.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions or anything else you are concerned about, I would be glad to help further any way that I can.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad