Hello, I have historically(years ago) been below normal in b12
I have historically(years ago) been below normal in b12 because of esomeprazole(20mg/day) and age(67). I'm trying to minimize supplements and have lowered my 1000/day b12 to 500mcg/day after my 920 blood level last April. Recently read association between b12 and lung cancer and currently have 8 new lung nodules 3-4mm that I'm rescreening in 6 mos. I have heard/read different things about b 12 storage in the liver and wondering if it's ok to stop b12 for 4 mos when I'll retest my b12? How much b12 does the body generally work off if in fact the storage theory is valid? Please advise. Thanks!
Yes you can stop it for few months
Hi, and Welcome to :Ask A Doctor service". I have read your question and here is my advice.
Your question of association of high dose of vit b12 with lung cancers is valid .A study published has shown increased risk of lung cancer with high dose of vit b12 for long times .Howevr that study had some flaws and question have been raised but still the recommendations are that we should avoid unnecessary high doses of vit b12 .
Regarding your question of quitting it for few months , you can definitely quit it if you had a value of 9 hundred few months back , which is much more then normal.The storage theory is that liver stores vit b12 .And it can store vit b12 for years .Roughly it takes about 3 years to causes deficiency of vit b12 if we stop taking it al together. So i mean to say if you have normal value , it would take you about 3 years to cause deficiency even if you don't take vit b12 . So you can definitely stop it for few months without any fears .
Hope I have answered your question.Please feel free to ask if you have any other concerns. I will be glad to answer any further question about this. kind Regards Dr Mahboob ur Rahman.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hello. In Mid-May I spent two weeks traveling in a
- I have severe insomnia . so I have taken 2
- Hello, I am trying to find how to complete sentences
- awakened dizzy this morning with a cold sweat. took my
- Would 250 mg daily of magnesium have adverse effect on
- I have been having a feeling of something moving up
- I received my MRI and MRA of both brain and
- at what low dose of predisone does your adernal glands
- blood test results how high is it when you are
- Ulcer pain keeps me from sleeping. Can I take Tylenol