Hello, I have been taking 25 mg daily of Metoprolol

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, I have been taking 25 mg daily of Metoprolol succ er for heart palpitations. I am finding that taking a 25 mg tablet and 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet, or 37.5 mg, daily, is more successful in reducing my heart palpitations. Would taking 50 or 75 mg daily for my palpitations be too much or harmful? My resting pulse in the evening is about 55 bpm.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's mostly individualized...please see the detailed answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...

Well, first of all, please note that 50mg or the 75mg daily dose of Metoprolol is well under the upper limit. That being said, it's always part of a novel approach to control the palpitation with the least amount of the desired dosage.

So, if the 25mg of Metoprolol ER and another 1/2 of 25mg, or 37.5mg is already proving to be the optimal dosage for control of heart rates, there's no need to up the dosage to 50 or 75mg.

Moreover, your evening resting pulse is around 55bpm which is also fine.

So, I don't see any reasons to up the dosage as of now, just continue monitoring the heart rates along with the same dose (i.e. 37.5mg, in a divided dosage of 25mg and another 1/2 of 25mg once daily)...

If it's just palpitation and there are no other diagnosed cardiac anomalies, then you may also try some relaxing methods like deep breathing exercises three times daily, meditations 30-45min which can, in fact, reduce the requirements of medications in the long run...

Let me know if I can assist you further...
Wish you good health...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 21 minutes later
Thank you, doctor.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome...

Detailed Answer:
Glad to be of service...

Most welcome anytime...

Take Care
Kind Regards