Hello. I have a question regarding a prior injury .

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello. I have a question regarding a prior injury. 2 years a go I fractured a distal portion of my clavicle. I did not know it was that at the time and let it heal on it’s own. When I went to the doctor two years ago he told me it had formed into a clavicle malunion near the lateral end of my clavicle. He said surgery is an option if I have pain or it’s uncomfortable. After the past two years it has begun to be painful. Limit my range of motion, it cosmetically is deformed and limits strength on my shoulder. My ac joint and another areas around the malunion are always tender as well. Should I see another ortho surgeon about having surgery to repair this malunion?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgical management necessary

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. If clavicle fracture malunion causes impaired function of the shoulder, surgery is the best option. Even though complications are not uncommon, an improved joint function outweighs the risks.
So do consult with a surgeon on this matter.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy