Hello I have a question about colonoscopy preparation regimen. I

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Mar 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello I have a question about colonoscopy preparation regimen. I lost the paper with the colonoscopy bowel cleansing regimen instructions and I cannot reach the doctor. I am supposed to do the regimen tomorrow. I have the miralax polyethylene glycol 3350 powder for solution that weighs 8.3 oz and the bisacodyl dulcolax 5 mg tablets. The box has 10 tablets. I need to know how many bisacodyl tablets I have to take and how far apart and how many oz of the miralax mixed solution. This was in the instructions which I lost. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Standard Procedure given below.

Detailed Answer:
Helllo and thanks for asking query on 'HealthcareMagic',
Though there are many ways still the most standard one is-

Make 1 liter of a 50% w/v solution of PEG 3350, weigh 500 grams of PEG 3350 into a volumetric flask and bring the final volume to 1 liter with water. Do not make the mistake of adding 500 grams of PEG 3350 to 500 ml of water and believing you have made a 50% w/v solution.Drink it or sip it every 10 minutes till mtions are watery.
Take 3 dulcolex tablets a night before colonoscopy and 2 more dulcolex at 7 a.m.
This is the most commonly followed protocol.
Hope I was helpful,
Follow ups are welcome,
Do rate answer!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj