question-icon

Hello, I Have A Friend Who Has Confirmed Herpes HSV-1

Posted on Thu, 23 Aug 2018
Question: Hello, I have a friend who has confirmed Herpes HSV-1. His ex-girlfriend got it from him and has it in her system but she has never had an outbreak supposedly. They both are prescribed acyclovir. About 5 days ago I had an encounter with her that involved maybe 5 minutes of open mouth kissing. Her mouth did not appear to have any sores or outbreak. What are my chances of getting the virus? And how soon should I go in to get tested for it?
Answered by Dr. Dr. Klarida Papaqako (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No need to get tested. No risk to get the virus without an active virus.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic to post your health query.
I read your question carefully and understand your concern.

The chance of getting the virus in your case is practically nil. The oral herpes is not transmittable if there are no vesicles or if the virus is not active at the moment of contact.

You do not need to get tested for it.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Dr. Klarida Papaqako