Hello. I have BARRETS ESOPHAGEOUS, SHORT SEGMENT, WHICH WAS DIAGNOSED

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello. I have BARRETS ESOPHAGEOUS, SHORT SEGMENT, WHICH WAS DIAGNOSED IN 2017. For the past month, I have been having stomach cramps, bloating stomach, difficulty burping to relieve the gas, pressure in my throat region, and difficulty swallowing. Any idea whats going on? I have an upper GI scheduled for Feb 25th.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I will assume that your gastroenterologist knows that you are having these symptoms currently for the past month and that that is the reason for the scheduled upper GI 2/25? (ie rather than being done routinely on a yearly basis).

It may be that you have gastritis which is causing worsened GERD (difficulty swallowing from acid coming up into the throat) as a result of it or possibly developed an ulcer.

You may need a different acid blocker. I'd recommend you discuss this with your GI doctor now rather than wait for the upper GI. Some people get more benefit from Pantoprazole than omeprazole. It is also possible particularly if this is happening after greasy food, that you are having problems with your gall bladder. That can be sorted out with an abdominal ultrasound.

I imagine you know the standard recommendations for decreasing GERD such as putting blocks under the head of the bed, not eating within 2-3 hours of bedtime, avoiding greasy, spicy, acidic (citrus, tomatoes) foods, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, and peppermint.

So - if your GI doctor is not aware of the current symptoms, I strongly advise you to let him/her know now.

I hope this information helps.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee