Hello, I had slept deeply on my neck wrong, after

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: Hello,
I had slept deeply on my neck wrong, after waking the pain was severe.
I have severe pain in in neck and swollen glands in neck. Sore throat that makes swallowing difficult and is constant. I have a cough with a lot of phlegm. no appetite. major difficulty sleeping as I usually sleep on my side but am unable as the neck pain is too severe on both sides.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A few questions first...

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. The sore throat is most likely viral, but strep throat is also a possibility, especially if you can see white spots or drainage in the back of your throat, or if you have a fever (above 100.4 or 38 degrees celsius).

Your neck is most likely muscle spasm as you suspect, but if you have a fever and headache along with it, that would be concerning for a more serious infection.

If you can let me know about the fever and back of your throat, I can give you more specific guidance. Also, can you let me know how old your are? Do you have any other medical conditions? Are you looking for advice on treatment mainly?

I look forward to your response.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D