Hello! I had a urinary tract infection last week and
MEQ. Do you feel the muscle twitches can be a result of the bactrim, perhaps due to high potassium levels with also being on the potassium supplement? And if so, how long do you think the twitches will continue (I am done taking the bactrim)? Thank you!!
Cause of muscle twitches likely due to electrolytes
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. It’s a little bit unclear what might be causing your muscle twitches. As you mentioned, Bactrim can sometimes increase serum potassium, however, this will usually cause muscle weakness and not muscle twitches or spasms. Actually, hypokalemia, or low potassium would be more likely to cause muscle twitching. So I cannot find any way that Bactrim would cause this, it is also not a known side effect of Bactrim.
Muscle twitching is often caused by electrolyte arrangements, and with your use of Furosemide, I would suspect this is the case for you. Furosemide can effect many electrolytes, including potassium, magnesium, and calcium, all of which can cause muscle twitching or spasms. Dehydration can also contribute to muscle twitching, so I would suggest making sure you are well hydrated, and if the twitching is getting worse or not improving, I think it would be a good idea to check your blood to see if you are deficient in any of these electrolytes.
I hope that helps answer your question, please let me know if you have any other questions or would like me to explain anything in further detail, I would be happy to do so.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining