Hello, I am taking 40 mg of geodon twice a

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: Hello, I am taking 40 mg of geodon twice a day a day for schizoaffective disorder, 100 mg of Luvox a day for OCD and anxiety, and 5 mg of propranolol as needed. The geodon and luvox make my heart rate go as high as 170 but when I take 10 mg or 20 mg of propranolol, my heart rate goes down as low as 41. So I've been taking 5 mg but I'm afraid if I take it everyday my heart will go down too low so I've been taking it once a week because my heart rate stays low for a week when I just take one 5 mg dose. So is it okay for me to take it once a week or as needed or should I take it everyday and will my heart rate go down too low if I take it everyday? My medical doctor said you can't take beta blockers as needed because you will get withdrawal. Is this true? He also said that geodon and luvox increase the levels of propranolol and that propranolol can cause arrhythmia when taken with these medications. So do you think the levels will go too high or I will get arrhythmia if I take it with geodon and luvox?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on Ask a Doctor service!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain there is no interaction between Geodon, Lovox and propranolol.

So, it is OK to take them concomitantly.

The only possible interaction is between Geodon and Luvox, which may increase each other plasma levels and cause possible QT interval prolongation on the ECG.

That is why it is necessary follow up with resting ECG every 6 months.

Regarding propranolol, it is OK to take 5mg in case of tachycardia every now and then. If it is not taken regularly, it does not cause rebound tachycardia or any other withdrawal symptoms.

Besides this is such a low dose of propranolol, that it's effects and adverse effects are insignificant.

You should also know that propranolol can help against anxiety, so it can help also against tachycardia during a panic attack.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr.Ilir Sharka,

Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T