Hello, I am taking 40 mg geodon twice a day

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, I am taking 40 mg geodon twice a day for schizoaffective disorder, 150 mg luvox once a day for ocd and anxiety, and 50 mg atarax twice a day for anxiety. Both the geodon and luvox can prolong the qt interval. So since both of them can prolong the qt interval do you think I will get qt interval prolongation?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not necessary, chances are low for women

Detailed Answer:
Dear Soniya,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns about prolongation of QT interval with use of certain medications.

First of all I like to acknowledge that your fear is based on the facts and it is always wise to follow recommendations of your doctor. When you are on these medications it is advisable to obtain baseline ECG and repeat the same every three to six months. Any form of sudden changes in heart beat, palpitations, fainting should be reported to your doctor.

Now regarding your question I must assure you that there are multiple causes among the persons who experience QT prolongation such as male gender, use of drugs affecting cardic conduction, existing QT, elderly, recent history of myocardial infarction among others.

Since you are young of female gender, no cardiac abnormality, getting prolongation of QT interval is rare possibility.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.