Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Hello Dr. My name is JP. I'm 54 years old

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1419 Questions
Hello Dr. My name is JP. I'm 54 years old man. I couldn't sleep last night. My mouth it too dry. I'm not thirsty but, my mouth is feel like cracking dry inside. What's going on? I think I had a minor stroke. About six month ago I found out that my speech is kind of weird sometimes, I can't control my voice, I get startled I sounded like a drunker. It get worst when I just have just a little drink. I'm not an alcoholic, I drink occasionally 2,3 times a month. And I'm getting very sensitive, very easy to get emotional, easy to cry. I quit smoke 14 years ago. 4 months ago I went to see my family Dr. and have a blood test but everything is normal, just a little high cholesterol that's all. Last night is kind of scaring me. Please advise....
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need metabolic profile and neurological examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in the best way possible. First of all, it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, for dry mouth, you need to be re-evaluated by baseline metabolic profile including sugar levels and serum electrolytes. Some endocrine disorders like diabetes or thyroid or adrenal issues or diabetes insipidus may present like this.

However, other local factors like dehydration, micronutrients deficiencies may cause the same and hydration should be kept up to the mark along with vitamin C, E, zinc and iron replacement as these all have a role in oral health.

The speech abnormalities should be evaluated by a detailed neurological examination including higher mental functions, cranial nerves examination as well as cerebellar signs. In case if any abnormality it should be evaluated further on CT scan or MRI brain with or without MRA to see circulation issues in the brain or some minor vessel blockages etc.

Meanwhile, supplements for B12, B1, B6, calcium, D3 and Folic acid may be tested for levels and replacement can be started keeping in view the history of alcohol even in a small amount as impaired absorption or decreased intake can be a related issue. Neurotonics like Ginko Biloba can also be beneficial.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor