Owl Image

Hello Dr, My mother is having fungal infection on her

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hello Dr,
My mother is having fungal infection on her hand and thigh region for more than one month. I am visiting dermatologist once in every 2 weeks. Dr has prescribed below medicine and she is taking these medicines for last 1 month, but still the infection has not gone completely. Just wanted to check if she can continue these medicines or I need to change the doctor.
1. Capsule Canditral(Itraconazole) - for 1 month ( twice daily)
2. Lulifin cream - for 1 month (twice daily)
Please find the attached prescription for reference
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest terbinafine instead of itraconazole

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

The prescription seems ok but sometimes a fungal infection may not respond as expected to a particular oral antifungal agent therefore requiring a change of therapy. I suggest you to start Tab. Terbinafine 250mg once a day for 4 weeks instead of Cap. Itraconazole 100mg. Terbinafine is better as it is fungicidal (kills the fungus) whereas Itraconazole is fungistatic(inhibits the fungus). Topically she may continue with luliconazole 1% cream, twice daily for 2-4 weeks.

Follow-up: Hello Dr, My mother is having fungal infection on her 23 minutes later
Thank you Dr. As per our current Dr, we did liver function test before starting this medication(Itraconazole). Is there any side effect of Terbinafine on liver or any other organ?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding Terbinafine

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No. Terbinafine is much safer than Itraconazole. If her previous Liver Function Test was normal then there is no need to repeat it again.