Hello Dr, I had undergone C section delivery 28th Oct.

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello Dr,
I had undergone C section delivery 28th Oct. I was having bleeding for 6 weeks long. After that few days later I am observing I am having issues with the periods. one day I bleed with few drops and it stops than again it starts with one day heavy and next day it stop for few days and later again bleed. I am seeing this problem almost last 15 days. I wanted to know why such problem are happening. How is this solved?
After delivery I face multiple times loose motions and followed by fever.
I am having server cold and cough. My 1.5 months baby also got cold. Can you please suggest some medicine and what can i do? I do the breast feeding.

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Periods will be irregular after delivery for the first 6 months.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.

Please be reassured, this issue you are facing is quite normal.

After the delivery, whether it is by Cesarean or vaginal, periods will not return to usual regular periods for some time.

Initially after delivery, women usually have a period of amenorrhea (Absent periods) for 6 months to 1 year and this is called lactational amenorrhea and this is due to high levels or prolactin hormone.

You must consult your local physician for the cold and fever and you must consult the pediatrician for your baby, we can not prescribe medicines during lactation.

Please do not ignore this.

As for the irregular bleeding, it is advisable to get an ultrasound scanning of the abdomen done to rule out any retained products of conception, if placental pieces are not seen on ultrasound, then you can wait for two more months for your normal regular periods to commence.

I hope this answers your query, feel free to write back to me if you have any additional concerns.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D