Hello Doctor, Our daughter was born on 30 November as

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 1 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor, Our daughter was born on 30 November as 2.56 kg healthy baby. We have below queries regarding her:- 1. Recently she has developed red white acne on her face since last 3 days (picture attached). We are giving her himalaya baby soap and water bath once in 2 days and massage with figaro olive oil twice daily. Is this acne fine or should we change anything? 2. We have noticed nursing tubercle on her lower and upper lip. Please find attached picture. Is this normal or shall we change anything? 3. She tends to pee around 13-14 times a day and poo 7-8 times a days. We are feeding her only her mother's milk.. Is this fine? Thanks in Advance XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns.

1. Let me assure you that for children upto 3 months of age it is normal to get rashes on the skin. It is called erythema toxicum. Unlike the name, it is absolutely harmless and needs no intervention and is not a cause for concern. Sometimes some white dots called milia can also be present along. They too are not a cause for concern and are caused due to deposition of dead cells under the skin.

They are not due to allergic cause or heat rashes. No intervention needed. You can however use some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion. Please note that it is pointless to oil-massage a baby since oil does not penetrate skin and all it can do is to make the skin externally shine. Please continue to give daily bath (with soap) to the baby.

2. Not a cause for concern.

3. For a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. Alternatively the child may pass stool once in 10 days and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, you need not grow concerned. It is ok to pass urine any number of times greater than 6 times in 24 hours.

Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. Most formula milks are cow milk based and hence difficult to digest. Moreover they make the child more prone to complications and infections. Mother's breast milk is produced on the demand of the baby and so you need not worry about the quantity.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj