Hello Doctor, My son is 6yrs old. He is a

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hello Doctor,

My son is 6yrs old. He is a IUGR baby with congenital left mild hydronephrosis which subsided completely in 2015. But in a recent follow up ultrasoumd scan he was again diagnosed with bilateral hydronephrosis. Further diagnosis were done to rule out the cause of obstruction followed by serum creatinine, IVP, and today we got CT scan of abdomen with contrast specially concentrating on KUB. I have attached the recent diagnostic reports.

Please review CT scan report and let know us why this might have happened, causes, treatment options, precautions and is surgery required in such cases.

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi, All is normal

Detailed Answer:

Your child might have had birth defect in urine passage known as PUJ obstruction. this can resolve or decrease in intensity as the child grows and does not need a surgery in most cases. The present ct says all is well in this regard.

another congenital condition is Vesicoureteric reflux it can be diagnosed by MCU test. which is a xray test.

I don't think your child has any significant problems. but if he has urine infections or any other symptoms you can go for MCU test and DTPA diuretic scan. These can rule out most of the problems. As such no treatment is needed on present findings

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ravi Bansal 29 hours later
Hello doctor,

The ct report also says that there is a critical narrowing of celiac origin about which you have not mentioned anythng.

I also want to ask you dose this vesico ueretric
reflux cause any kidney function damage or cause any harm to the kidney tissues.

I request you to please describe in detail all the 4 points mentioned in the ct scan reports impressions.
Follow up: Dr. Ravi Bansal 23 hours later
Hello doctor,

I have attached the new report of ec renogram of my son for ur overview. Plz describe me the report and plz give ur precious advise on this case. What has to be done next.

Thnk you.
Awaiting your earliest response.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Renogram report is normal

Detailed Answer:

The renogram report is normal. so the child had PUJ obstruction earlier but now it is better and no operation and treatment are needed for the same. The kidney function is normal and there is no damage to the kidneys as per the report.

The extrarenal pelvis is only a structural variation. No treatment needed.

I cannot comment on critical celiac access artery stenosis. Please ask a gastroenterologist or a vascular surgeon for the same.

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D