Hello Doctor, My sister s male child is 4 years

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 1 Apr 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello Doctor,

My sister's male child is 4 years old and seems to be healthy. We noticed that his legs while standing seem to be different than while we as elders stand as the knees doesn't seem to come closer. Would this cause any problem in the future? Is it normal in kids of this age? Why would this have happened? Please look at the attachments for photos so that you may look clearly.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is called Knock Knees( Genu VAlgus )

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have seen the pics and read the details.
In my opinion this condition is called Knock Knees ( Genu Valgus in medical terms).
The treatment depends on severity . For mild cases generally nothing is required , moderate cases - observation and intervention when required. Severe cases require surgery at a little later age. Mild degrees may improve spontaneously.
If severe and left untreated , can lead to knee, hip problems and later on walking difficulties.
I suggest consultation with Orthopedic Surgeon and full assessment. Please follow his advise.
Thanks for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 19 hours later
One of the doctors whom my sister consulted for this problem was asked to let the child play in Soil and natural sports so that after few years when he grows this problem will not be problematic. Is this a true statement?

My nephew does not complains of any problem or pain due to the way the legs are. Should we be worried in such a case?

1) Can you tell us the reason why did he get the legs in such a shape?

2) Could this be due to low energy food?

3) Would you recommend any dietary changes?
Brief Answer:
Please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
In my opinion nature helps in healing -so in growing child playing in soil may help.
As I have told earlier - pain is not a indicator or factor that will come into focus at this stage.
1. Reason can be discussed only after seeing the patient and assessing hip properly with X rays Otherwise it will be only speculation.
2. What is low energy Food?
3. Any dietary change can be discussed only after assessing the patient with investigations.
Thanks .