Hello Doctor, My cousin has a 2-year-old daughter. Her hunger
My cousin has a 2-year-old daughter. Her hunger levels are too low that she could not eat more than one Idly for breakfast. She consulted the regular doctor and gave syrups like Zincovit, Mezyme to boost digestion and induce hunger which did not show up results. My cousin was not sure if her baby has digestion problem or less hunger as the reason behind her disinterest for food.
She noticed that her baby bloats at times and gives her Colic aid. She hardly eats. I would say the intake is zero amount of vegetables and very less quantity of fruits (alternative days). Baby stools are so hard and excretes them on alternate days. Baby moans in pain while passing stool. My cousin took her to a doctor and she prescribed Duphalac syrup that’s being used from a month. Now, the baby excretes once a day but still the stool is hard.
There is no improvement on hunger front. Kindly suggest on what can be done and would you be able to devise a diet plan for her which would be of immense help for us.
Baby needs more milk and fluids
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Laxatives like duphalac should be used when needed. Avoid their prolonged use as child may develop its habit.
Such symptoms are common in children of her age and do not require medicines. This requires lifestyle management.
The child should be given meals every 3 hrs followed by milk. Milk is a natural laxative and is also a complete nutrition. Better is to give her foods that have milk products like butter, ghee, cheese etc.
The meal plan will look like an adult's in the family. Food can be similar to adults's or maybe something that she likes. Can try new foods with her every time. Children tend to dislike same foods every time. Children of this age like cookies, cakes, pastries, donuts, pizza, burger, etc and can be given as meal for some time. Scolding should not happen during meal time.
Prunes are also helpful with constipation, if she can swallow it.
Hunger can increase if we give her high calorie food before sleep like adding a spoon of cream in her milk before sleeping.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...
- Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...
- Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?
- Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...
- Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...
- Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...
- Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...
- What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?
- Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...
- Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...