Hello Doctor, My cousin has a 2-year-old daughter. Her hunger
My cousin has a 2-year-old daughter. Her hunger levels are too low that she could not eat more than one Idly for breakfast. She consulted the regular doctor and gave syrups like Zincovit, Mezyme to boost digestion and induce hunger which did not show up results. My cousin was not sure if her baby has digestion problem or less hunger as the reason behind her disinterest for food.
She noticed that her baby bloats at times and gives her Colic aid. She hardly eats. I would say the intake is zero amount of vegetables and very less quantity of fruits (alternative days). Baby stools are so hard and excretes them on alternate days. Baby moans in pain while passing stool. My cousin took her to a doctor and she prescribed Duphalac syrup that’s being used from a month. Now, the baby excretes once a day but still the stool is hard.
There is no improvement on hunger front. Kindly suggest on what can be done and would you be able to devise a diet plan for her which would be of immense help for us.
Needs iron supplements and blood tests
Thanks for writing to us.
I understand your cousin childs problem.
1. Get blood tests to rule out anemia, calcium, vitamin d and low b12 levels.
If any of these are present, treating the issue will help in stimulating hunger.
2. Give iron supplements to stimulate hunger. Discuss with your Pediatrician regarding this.
3. Also increase fruits and vegetables. At this age, a child needs 2 cups of fruits and 2 cups of vegetables everyday.
4. Avoid more than 2 glasses of milk. Avoid biscuits and snacks, junk like chips, bakery products, etc which are prone to cause constipation.
5. Give plenty of liquids to drink like water, tender coconut water, soups, etc.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Constant crying baby,not sleeping,given gripe water.Suggestions ?
- Baby has frequent running nose, sneezing, fever. Prescribed with...
- Swelling of legs after a drive. Is this normal? Or is it related to...
- 23 days baby is having cold and cough, not able to sleep well. Giving...
- Baby started vomitting and loose motion. Losing weight. Stool test done....
- Baby has low weight, elevated liver enzymes. What does this mean? Usual...
- Will consuming omega 3 supplement affect a breast fed child?
- Child felt warm, given Calpol. Blood test suggested. Appreciate a second...
- Child tightens his hands and jaws, makes grunting sound. Is everything...
- Child getting fever, cough and cold frequently. Constant constipation....