Hello Doctor, My cousin has a 2-year-old daughter. Her hunger

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My cousin has a 2-year-old daughter. Her hunger levels are too low that she could not eat more than one Idly for breakfast. She consulted the regular doctor and gave syrups like Zincovit, Mezyme to boost digestion and induce hunger which did not show up results. My cousin was not sure if her baby has digestion problem or less hunger as the reason behind her disinterest for food.

She noticed that her baby bloats at times and gives her Colic aid. She hardly eats. I would say the intake is zero amount of vegetables and very less quantity of fruits (alternative days). Baby stools are so hard and excretes them on alternate days. Baby moans in pain while passing stool. My cousin took her to a doctor and she prescribed Duphalac syrup that’s being used from a month. Now, the baby excretes once a day but still the stool is hard.

There is no improvement on hunger front. Kindly suggest on what can be done and would you be able to devise a diet plan for her which would be of immense help for us.

Thanking you

Srikanth.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs iron supplements and blood tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your cousin childs problem.
My advice
1. Get blood tests to rule out anemia, calcium, vitamin d and low b12 levels.
If any of these are present, treating the issue will help in stimulating hunger.
2. Give iron supplements to stimulate hunger. Discuss with your Pediatrician regarding this.
3. Also increase fruits and vegetables. At this age, a child needs 2 cups of fruits and 2 cups of vegetables everyday.
4. Avoid more than 2 glasses of milk. Avoid biscuits and snacks, junk like chips, bakery products, etc which are prone to cause constipation.
5. Give plenty of liquids to drink like water, tender coconut water, soups, etc.
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj