Hello Doctor! I'm a 26 year old married woman. Of

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
Hello Doctor! I'm a 26 year old married woman. Of late, I've been doing workouts in gym. I used to have increased heart rate (upto 100) after heavy meals, but not regularly though. So my husband insisted that I join the gym to regulate my heart rate. It was good. After a month of joining the gym, I didn't have any increased heart rate issues. But today morning, after completing gym, my heart rate went down for sometime. It felt good. I had breakfast and started going to work. Half an hour after breakfast, my heart started racing upto 102 or 103. It was there for around 40 mins and then it got back to normal. I wanted to know why it happened like that. Is this normal? Before joining gym, I took ecg and echo. They were all fine and normal. Please advise.
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried for

Detailed Answer:
Hello Vidhya

After going through the medical details provided by you i understand your concern for your health and i would like to tell you that sometimes the sympathetic system of our body gets activated to a certain stimulus or sometimes due to some thoughts going on in our subconscious which triggers the heart rate for some time and after a while it becomes normal.

However if this sudden fluctuations happens constantly or frequently then we need to investigate the underlying cause by conducting few tests otherwise there is no need to do anything. Also dont overthink about it as stress/anxiety trigger these episodes.

Also i would like to suggest you that if you are a fan of drinking coffee then you have to cut down the intake as it contains caffeine which also increases heart rate.

I hope this information will relieve your worries.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap

Follow-up: Hello Doctor! I'm a 26 year old married woman. Of 6 hours later
Yes doctor. I did have a coffee 5 or 10 mins after the workout. But am not a big fan of coffee. I have it rarely. Today I randomly had. But I didn't do any heavy exercise. Did 15 mins of cardio and another 15 mins of weight training that too with least weight...

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's alright

Detailed Answer:
Hello Again

Thanks for the feedback. It's good that you are not a kind of coffee addict. Just continue your daily activities and just forget about this.

In case this happens again kindly let me know, then we will plan to conduct few basic tests as per situation.

If you have any more doubts you can ask me back or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer.

If any event happens in future then kindly write my name in your query so that it will come directly to me. Then I'll will advise you accordingly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: Hello Doctor! I'm a 26 year old married woman. Of 14 hours later
Thank you doctor. I have another query. My 29 year old husband's heart rate is around 45 bpm most of the time. After a workout it comes to around 56 bpm. He doesn't have any health issues. Is it normal to have such low heart rate?... Regarding tests, he took a ecg before wedding as a part of health check up and it was fine. He didn't take anyother test apart from ecg. Please let me know if it is normal.

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

If he is asymptomatic and his heart rises during exercise then there is nothing to worry for.

This rate actually in his case suggests physical wellness.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: Hello Doctor! I'm a 26 year old married woman. Of 2 days later
ok doctor. Please tell me ways by which we can have a healthy heart throughout life.

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
These are all basic lifestyle modifications

1. Daily brisk morning walk for 45 mins a day for 5 days a week.

2. No smoking

3. Low dietary salt intake.

4. Avoiding junk food and drinks containing caffeine.

5. Include good amount of fresh fruits and vegetables in daily diet.

6. Drink plenty of water daily.

7. Avoid frequent use of ghee and butter.

8. Take proper and adequate sleep.

These simple things will help us stay healthy as a whole.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap