question-icon

Hello Doctor, I was curious, can sudden acid reflux indicate

Posted on Sun, 10 Mar 2019
Question: Hello Doctor,

I was curious, can sudden acid reflux indicate a serious problem or is it normal to happen as an isolated event?

I was literally sitting at my desk, belched, and felt gastric contents come into my throat/back of mouth. I drank and began to eat something (to wash the taste away) and its being very stubborn to go away. I find that if I cough hard, I can faintly feel it.

Is this something to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (52 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No need to panic.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query,
A single episode of acid reflux has nothing to be worried about. A large spicy meal or lying down just after having that meal may cause it.
Certain foods such as citrus, tomato, chocolate, mint, garlic, onions, or spicy or fatty foods may cause acid reflux. Secondly drinking certain beverages, such as alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, or tea, may cause it.
Don't worry take over the counter antacid omeprazole 40mg once for 3 days.
The metallic taste would go away in a day or two.
Suggestions
Avoid oily spicy and fatty food.
No alcohol or smoking.
Drink a glass of chilled milk in morning.
Have antacids for few days.

As of now no need to worry.
Hope i was helpful.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist