Hello Doctor. I was a regular consumer of alcohol for

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
Hello Doctor. I was a regular consumer of alcohol for the past 5 years. My Amylase level is 110 (lab normal range is 100) and Lipase level is 74 (lab normal range is 60). My ultrasound is normal. I have stopped consuming alcohol presently as suggested by the doctor. I have intermittent abdominal pain and indigestion on consuming heavy foods.

Please suggest any medication and your opinion on my condition.
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pancreatic enzyme preparations or stop oily foods.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
It is good to know that you have stopped alcohol and thus giving a chance or regaining good health of liver, pancreas and of the body in general.
Marginal raise in serum amylase and lipase id not very specific in absence of symptoms of pancreatitis and thus most probably are secondary to alcohol injury to pancreas.
Hence it is necessary to get these evaluated by regular followup blood test.
I would be wise to go for MRCP that is MRI of cholangiopancreatic system including that of liver; upper GI Endoscopy and EUS that is Endoscopic Ultrasound as it gives better diagnosis than ultrasonography of abdomen which has been reported as normal in your case.
Intermittent abdominal pain and indigestion on consuming heavy foods may be due to the following reasons:
Pancreatic insufficiency that is less than required secretions of pancreatic enzymes unable to digest heavy foods.
Addition of pancreatic enzyme supplements while eating food can help to get this resolved.
Also needed are the tests of stool; tests of blood for liver functions.
Clinical evaluation and re-evaluation by your Doctor preferably a Gastroenterologist.
All these things will lead to a proper diagnosis and gives plan for proper management.
I hope, this answers your queries and helps in getting a proper diagnosis at the earliest.
Please give feedback and ask fr further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow-up: Hello Doctor. I was a regular consumer of alcohol for 3 hours later
Thanks for the prompt reply doctor. I missed one point in my earlier query, my Liver Function Test is Normal. Further My Liver Fibrosis assessment shows a median stiffness of 5.2Kpa and a success rate of 100%.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Great

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Good that the tests you mentioned are normal.
Carry on the instructions as given above.