Hello Doctor, I have been experiencing muscle twitches for the

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
Hello Doctor,

I have been experiencing muscle twitches for the past 7 years. They can be located anywhere on my body and last a few minutes to a month (one and off). I am an active person, going to the gym 3-4 days per week. My most recent bout has been on the side of my hard and seemed to happen after play some video games with my son. I have mentioned these many times to by general doctor and he told me not to be concerned.

Should I be concerned? When should a person be concerned regarding muscle twitching?

Thanks so much!
XXXXXXX
(813) 541-7626
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Benign fasciculations syndrome probably.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using Healthcaremagic.com.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Since you have muscles twitches from 7 years and there are no other symptoms present, or any worsening of your symptoms, there is no need to get worried about much more than necessary.

A person should be concerned about muscles twitches when there start to be present other symptoms ( fatigue, muscle atrophy, problems with swallowing, speaking, vision, etc.), or when the twitching get very frequent.

In your case, benign fasciculations syndrome is the most likely diagnosis.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Hello Doctor, I have been experiencing muscle twitches for the 21 hours later
Hi Doctor,

My muscle twithch has stopped on the side of my hand and moved to my middle finger which actually moves (simiar to a spasm). No muscle weakness present. Would a more serious twitch follow weakness or happen before? Also, I have read that a serious twitch is one which we can not see above the skin. Is this accurate? lastly, since this has been happening for (7) years it is my understanding this is a good sign it is nothing to be concerned about.

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a dangerous condition.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Again, since you noticed these issues from 7 years ago and there are no other symptoms, be reassured that there is not a dangerous condition.

The nature of the twitches may vary, so, don't pay much more attention than necessary.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Follow-up: Hello Doctor, I have been experiencing muscle twitches for the 18 days later
Hi Doctor, thanks so much for the answer. Seems like my muscle spasm/twitch happens directly after I flex by hand or after a workout at the gym or if I really relax the hand. I am trying to attach a video for you review. Doesn't happen all day long, just a second and then back to normal.

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Okay.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Okay, waiting for the video.

Follow-up: Hello Doctor, I have been experiencing muscle twitches for the 6 minutes later
Apologize, I don't have a video.

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is okay.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

It is okay, your description is complete.

These types of fasciculations are in most cases, benign ones.

Hope I helped you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Hello Doctor, I have been experiencing muscle twitches for the 24 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. I visited a local neurologist today. He evaluated my strength as well as reflex. It all checked fine. Do you think an EMG is required? I suffer from aniexty (as you can probably tell:)). And would rather not expose myself to additional tests.

If these twitching was an issue, would something clearly pop up in the evaluation he performed.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Brief Answer:
EMG not necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

As we discussed previously, 7 years is a relatively long time for muscles twitching to be caused by a serious condition without manifesting other symptoms, so, I don't think you need to be worried about.

I think EMG also is not necessary, and I'm sure that if you will have it done the results will be within normal ranges.

Hope this helps.

In good health.

Follow-up: Hello Doctor, I have been experiencing muscle twitches for the 22 hours later
Hi Doctor, I have sent the video to your team via email and they have shared with you. I have attached a picture of my wrist in which i might have some ligament damage for lifting the gym. Not sure if that can effect my middle finger?

Can you please help me understand if the finger movement is concerning? My twitching are typically smaller and more firing. This seems more of a spasm but going to leave that up to you. Also doesn't seem to start until around 1pm. Thanks so much again for your patience.

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

I saw the picture and the video you uploaded.

Once again, the condition seems to be not a serious one.

Ligaments damaged may contribute to the nerve compression that may result in small muscles spasms, twitching also.

The spontaneous movements of your middle finger seem to be caused by these spasms, in my opinion, no reason to be concerned.

Hope I helped you.

Kind regards.