Hello Doctor, I have a 4 months old son. I

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello Doctor,

I have a 4 months old son. I found that he has a bump (Not sure if it bony or muscular but looks mostly muscular to me) on his head. I attached a picture of the head. I am worried if this is something of a concern or if this will resolve on its own with the age. Request for your advice.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashish
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need more information please

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I have seen the image. From the photograph I feel that it is the metopic suture of the skull bone,

he seems to be a happy kid and developmentally normal. I do not see anything to worry about it.

But a few questions -
1. Can you palpate the area and tell me if it is bony hard or firm or soft?
2. From when did you observe this?
3. Is there any history of injury?
4. He's is smiling and has attained the social smile and so I will not ask if he is developmentally normal, which I feel he is.

Kindly revert back to me with answers so that I can guide you better.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Hello Doctor, I have a 4 months old son. I 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the advice.
Please find below the answers to the questions :

Answer - It is soft.

2. From when did you observe this?
Answer - We observed it last week but we checked the previous photos and are able to see at least from the time he was 2 months old. Photos previous to that have his head covered with cap, so we are not sure if it was there before as well.

3. Is there any history of injury?
Answer - As far as we know, there is no history of injury. However, just thought to inform that it was a forceps delivery. Not sure if this has to do something with the bump.

Answer - Yes he is developmentally normal though just little low in weight parameter (12 lb at 4 Months of Age).

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not an emergency but I suggest you consult a pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Hi... thank you for getting back with the necessary information.

I still feel that it is a metopic suture fusion which is showing like a swelling on the frontal bone. It may be soft because you are palpating the soft tissue over the skull bone. To be doubly sure about this, I suggest that you consult his pediatrician for a short and crisp clinical evaluation.

But I can reassure you that this is not an emergency and you need not panic or worry about it or rush him to the hospital.

Hope this helps. If you have any further query regarding this please get back to me. I will be happy to help any time.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Follow-up: Hello Doctor, I have a 4 months old son. I 45 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the advice.
As advised, we will consult his pediatrician for clinical evaluation.
I am worried if this is Metopic Suture then will it create any problem in future like slow growth of my son or any behavioral problems? Also, will it increase with the age and have any challenge with the physical appearance?
Also, Is it possible that it can cure on its own?

Thanks & Regards,
Ashish

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on metopic sutural fusion

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... coming to your queries one by one -

1. Even if it is metopic suture you need not worry as it will not be a cause of concern for his development and behavioral issues.

2. Whether it will grow and have any issues with his physical appearance can only be decided after we confirm that it is the metopic suture fusion and also on clinical follow up. There is no way that now I can predict how it will be in the future I am extremely sorry that I could not help you in this regard.

3. Sometimes it can get better by itself due to accumulation of soft tissue around it and as the growth happens it can flatten out by itself.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth