Hello Doctor, I had got urine test got done for

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello Doctor,

I had got urine test got done for my daughter which includes complete urine analysis routine and culture.
The pus cell count was numerous and the culture report showed growth so she was on antibiotics for 15 days . Post the course we got the urine test again
In complete urine analysis the result indicated pus cell count as 8-10 /hpf . However in culture it came as sterile after 48 hours.
Does this mean the infection persists in spite the culture report showing sterile??

Thanks and Regards,
Swathi
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This indictes that the urine infection is cured

Detailed Answer:
Hi...this means that the urine infection is completely cured.

In medical terms there is a separate term for this - this is called - STERILE PYURIA.

This means that the urine routine may show pus cells - but - the culture will be sterile.

This need not be treated. This is not suggestive of lingering infection.

But as it is first episode of urinary tract infection, I would suggest you get an ultrasound abdomen done. We need to check if there is any ureteral dilatation or reflux.

I hope your pediatrician has asked for it. If it has already been done - kindly upload the report, I will see and get back please.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Hello Doctor, I had got urine test got done for 3 hours later
Hello Doctor ,

Yes my pediatrician advised for scan. Please find attaches scan report.

Thanks and Regards,
Swathi

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on first episode of UTI

Detailed Answer:
Hi... thank you for uploading the report. I have gone through the report in detail. There is no abnormality in the ultrasound abdomen.

We can be rest assured.

No need to do any further scans like MCU or DMSA.

In our last interaction, I had provided you with the link to post a direct question to me.

I am providing this once more for your ease. If you are happy with the way I deal with the health concerns, you can follow up with me in future.

You can approach me at the following link.

Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Hello Doctor, I had got urine test got done for 42 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Sure thanks a lot

Swathi

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for the confidence in me

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... thank you for the confidence in me. I will be there to help you at any time regarding health concerns.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (PAEDIATRICS).,