Hello Doctor. Am a 26 year old married woman with

Endocrinologist
Question
Hello Doctor. Am a 26 year old married woman with hypothyroid for a year and on thyroid medocation since. Recently my endo advised me to take antithyroid antibodies test. I took and thyroglobulin antobody is in normal condition but my tpo antibody is 991 whereas normal range should be below 60. I'm shocked and deeply worried. Is this serious?? Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
No madam not to worry

Detailed Answer:
dear madam
anti TOO just suggests u have auto immune thyroid dysfunction and u will need life long treatment
neither the treatment changes by your antibody being positive nor anything else.
REGARDS

Follow-up: Hello Doctor. Am a 26 year old married woman with 4 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. I have two doubts. Can you please tell me the ways I can bring down this TPO level??... Am already taking eltroxin. Will I need to take any additional medications because of positive antibodies?

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't track TPO

Detailed Answer:
dear madam, no we don't treat TPO. DO NOT RUN AFTER TPO.
dear madam no extra medicine is required, and no need to bring down TPO. just follow TSH & FT4 quarterly and try to keep them normal by adjusting dose of eltroxin which u r already taking.
REGARDS

Follow-up: Hello Doctor. Am a 26 year old married woman with 3 minutes later
If it's not necessary to track TPO and treatment is not required, then why are doctors suggesting to take antibodies test?

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
To find out autoimmune profile.

Detailed Answer:
dear madam, antibodies are studied to find out if the disease is of auto immune nature . if antibodies are positive treatment is likely to continue for life.
regards!

Follow-up: Hello Doctor. Am a 26 year old married woman with 22 hours later
Thank You Doctor. I've been taking eltroxin high dose for over a year now...ranging from 75 to 88 mcg... I know someone who took 200 mcg when diagnosed and that she is taking just 25 mcg after years of doing yoga.... Let me know the ways I can keep tsh in control by having minimum dose of eltroxin. And I've been trying to conceive for over a year now. I've heard that it is possible to conceive only when the tsh level is below 2.5. Is it true doctor?

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose is individualized madam

Detailed Answer:
dear madam, dose is different for all individuals. so ur dose cannot be compared with some one else. the idea is to keep thyroid balance normal. yoga or thyroid specific exercises is not proven and measured therapy. so they need to be continued along with medicine and timely checking.
pregnancy is difficult with imbalanced thyroid, but then there is no cut off which does not allow conception. once conception has happened, then the target is 2.5 uIU/ml for TSH. Dose might go up with pregnancy but the idea is to adjust the dose of thyroxine to achieve the target throughout