Hello Doc I am 47 years old male, regularly consuming

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
Hello Doc
I am 47 years old male, regularly consuming alcohol and also smoke.
Was feeling little pain off and on on right side of abdomen under ribs, jus got my blood tests done. Liver tests shows higher SGPT -64, GGT-125. KIdney test shows Urea-9.00, Creatinine-0.58. Further Lipid profile shows Total Cholesterol-241, Triglycerides-204, LDL-142 and VLDL- 40. Rest test shows all under normal levels.
Kindly suggest how to proceed and are lower levels of creatinine and urea are Ok?
Have been taking S-Adenosyl Methoinine tablets 400gms since a week.

Fri, 9 Feb 2018 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Aftergoing through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern and I would like to tell you that neither smoking nor drinking is good for health as both damages the normal functionality of our system.

Your problem is because of your drinking habit. So obviously you have to cut down the alcohol intake as well as reduce the number of cigarettes you use and slowly taper them off completely.

Daily or frequent alcohol consumption directly destroy the liver cells and in long term can also cause cirrhosis. The good thing about liver is that it has the ability to regenerate if we stop damaging it and slowly the function will improve back.

Your abnormal test results are the result of the liver injury. It's advisable to personally consult a Gastroenterologist for detailed evaluation and proper advice.

There is no problem with low levels of creatinine.

I hope this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr. Bhanu Partap