Hello! A little over a week ago I was intimate

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2019 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello! A little over a week ago I was intimate with a guy. We used protection but he did perform oral sex on me. I am now feeling very itchy in my private area . No discharge is shown to be present just itchiness. Is it possible to contract an STD through oral sex?
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. If your partner had any active STD infections in the mouth or throat, it would be possible for him to transmit those infections to you. This would include chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, HPV, and HIV. The risk is lower than with intercourse, and with HIV it is considered to be very low, but it would still be possible. With the symptoms of itchiness, you may be developing a herpes outbreak, which, if it is, will be followed by blisters which break open and form painful ulcers.

If you received oral sex without a condom on, and you have any reason to believe your partner may have any STDs, I would suggest getting checked, and especially if you do end up getting blisters, to get treated for herpes.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about that, I would be glad to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D