Hello, A few months back I started having some pain

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Back Pain
Question: Hello, A few months back I started having some pain that I thought might be tendonitis. Pain was stemming from my left thumb joint and radiating up my arm just a few (maybe 5) inches past my wrist. Mostly hurt when I tried to stretch my thumb inwards towards my pinky finger across my palm. So I just did stretches and anti-inflamatories to help relieve the pain. Well it didn't really do anything. I also iced it. No relief. But I am a person of high pain tolerance and just put up with it. I just figured it was from use of my cell phone and typing a lot at work. Well then it started to feel a little better, but at the same time a bump started to emerge on the inside edge (thumb side) of my wrist bone. This bump feels as hard as bone. So I am guessing it is a bone growth. It feels like a bruised bone too. Very tender. And seems to be getting a little bigger and remains very tender and weakened. The growth is about 1-2 cm in diameter and probably 5mm high. And my right wrist has nothing of the sort. Just curious if this might be something serious that you are familiar with?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ligament tear possibly

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for the query..

I have read your query and understood your problem.

The hard swelling appears like hematoma or blood collection due to probable ligament rupture.

Please put a splint on the finger and get an MRI done to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer any follow-up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon