Hello - I was recently diagnosed with Graves disease and
I recently had more blood work done because I have been getting sores (similar to a cold sore) in my nose.
My C4 came back slightly low >10 but my C3 OK.
My ANA came back positive - 1:320 with a centromere pattern, which says it is relatively specific for the CREST syndrome variant of systemic sclerosis.Negative for protein in urine.
Rhemtoid factor came back OK, <10.
Can you please help me understand what my ANA results mean?
This doesn't seem like crest
hi, the possibility is that you don't suffer from crest syndrome,as you don't have any symptoms related to it.
ana can be falsely positive in people who suffer from autoimmune thyroid disorders.
I suggest , that we should keep you under follow up for the development of symptoms like Raynaud's, blue fingers, skin rash. skin tightening or arthritis.
in case such symptoms develop you require treatment.
I am relieved to hear that.
The only symptom I have that is at all sounding like CHREST is sore joints, this is primarily in my hands/fingers, sometimes arms. I wonder though if this is related to my hypothyroidism since this is not yet under control. My TSH is still very high and I’ve only noticed this symptom since post XXXXXXX when I flipped from Hyper to Hypo. I do also find that my arms and feet get a “tingling feeling” or fall asleep throughout the day sometimes. I think the doctor did the ANA to rule out Lupus as I have been getting nose sores but do not have any other symptoms of Lupus. My C4 came back slightly low but my C3 was within range.
The thyroid seems to be responsible for this
Yes, I think probably hypothyroidism is responsible for the joint symptoms and tingling.
Hopefully, once the thyroid settle s down, these symptoms will also go away.
The complement levels may need to be repeated in follow up to see if they are in the normal range.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How common is for a person in 60s or 70s of developing rheumatoid...
- Having severe abdominal pain. Tested negative for rheumatoid arthritis...
- Taking folitrax 7.5 mg. Having joint pains. Is rheumatoid arthritis...
- Have wrist pain, negative for rheumatoid factor. Had ITP and...
- Getting tingling fingers, nodule at knuckle. What is the difference...
- Tiredness, headache, taking depression medication. Any suggestions?
- 84 year old having severe arthritis. On morphine patches. How to improve...
- Fall on buttocks. Suffering from back pain. Diagnosed with si joint...
- Tested HLA B27 positive. Feeling fatigued, sensitive back and buttocks....
- Thumb is very sore at the base and noticed swollen blood vessels. How to...