Hello - I have to go for a PTA in
I would explain as follows:
Welcome back on -Ask a Doctor- service!
Regarding your concern let me explain that endovascular procedures (like percutaneous transluminal angioplasty with stent implantation) are effective as a revascularization option especially when patients present with lifestyle-limiting claudication and hemodynamically significant aorto-iliac occlusive disease. It seems to be a safe procedure in the majority of patients.
But, the effectiveness of the procedure itself is one part and the long term success from the other part will depend on the appropriate control of atherosclerosis risk factors.
In addition, the patency of the implanted stents will rely also by the correct implementation of the recommended anti-thrombotic therapy.
So, it seems to be a a safe procedure with complex implication of several interrelated factors necessary to be evaluated during followup strategy.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.
I believe that males over 70 are at greater risk...but that is because they do not take care of themselves, are competitive by nature, do not see doctors generally, are stressed out and so on...and also go through male menopause....etc....But now females are becoming at risk too!
What about eggs? Are they OK twice a week? And cheese?
So, then PTA is safe....are doctors not worried that when they put the catheter in, this might create a blood clot? Or is that all taken into consideration? Please, I need as much info as possible. And also Happy New Year to you Dr. Sharka!
My opinion as follows:
It seems that you are in the right way of dealing with your health problem. An appropriate lifestyle is the best approach to controlling atherosclerosis. In addition, taking eggs may not have adverse consequences as they suppress the body cholesterol production (recently proven).
Regarding the procedure, you shouldn't worry about it as it is safe when performed by experienced hands.
In addition, age doesn't represent an important factor if medical follow-ups, therapy and lifestyle are well tailored.
Wishing you a Happy New Year too!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?