Hello - I had a Doppler of legs and Iliac

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2018 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Hello - I had a Doppler of legs and Iliac arteries yesterday at the Montreal Heart Institute. I have moderate to severe plaque of the Iliac arteries and my PAD in my legs is moderate also.
The doctor who saw my results suggested a catheter procedure to open up the Iliac arteries. I understand this procedure is quite safe. I am meeting the head cardiologist at the Montreal Heart Institute on December 18th to go over results (Doppler PLUS additional heart echo to be taken this coming Monday). My LDL is 1.45, all other tests are good. Is this the right procedure? I believe it is. Some days, it is painful even just walking around my apartment, other days - like today - I did my walking and the pain was much less (3 out of 10). I am anxious and need some reassurance about the PTA procedure. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not be worried...

Detailed Answer:

I understand you are worries. It's common to have such worries before any procedure.

PTA is a minimally invasive procedure and these days the tools are quite sophisticated which minimizes any risks of complications. They are hardly any untoward incidents these days. Theoretically, there are associated risks of injury and blood vessel bleed, but out in the practice experienced specialist and modern instruments have brought the risks to bare minimal. So you should stay relaxed and calm. It will be over in a few minutes.

And yes, this minimally invasive procedure is the choice treatment especially if the block is not total (100% block).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later
Good, that is super....it may take a few months before it is done, but I guess I am OK until then?
I still walk and my LDL is optimal...I believe the smoking did this to me.
Thank God, I no longer smoke!
I understand that patency is good for this type of procedure. Is that right? And it is 99% success rate?
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Thanks doctor.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Yes, the results are good....

Detailed Answer:

Apologies for the late reply. I was away from internet for couple of days during the weekend.

As I mentioned earlier, PTA is the preferred treatment for blocked arteries. It's preferred because it's minimally invasive procedure and the results from it is extremely good. Currently there are very good stents which keep arteries patents for decades. Some of them are able to keep patency for life long.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad