Heavy smoker. Noticed raised mole on neck. Family history of melanoma. Concerned

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Skin Cancer
Question: Not sure if this is allowed so I can pay if needed my brother has has a long time colorless smooth textured slightly raised mole on his neck that now has an almost black spot on one half of it. We have a family history of melanoma ... My dad had it. I have had several severely dysplatic moles removed. My brother pointed it out to his doctor on his last visit and the Dr said he might take it off on the next appointment which is in four months. My brother is a quadrapeligia and I don't know if his Dr really pays much attention to his needs. Do you think that waiting is a good approach to the mole. It isonhis neck. Not bleeding does itch sometimes but my brother doesn't have a strong sence of touch do to his spinal cord injury. He is also a heavy smoker
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 days later

Melanomas can be diagnosed simply by a technique known as ABCDE

A asymmetry that is two halves of the lesion do not match
B border. Border is irregular or ragged
C color. Color is variegated that is one half can be brown, other half red or black.
D diameter. It is usually more than 6 mm in size
E elevation and evolution that is lesion is raised and any changes like itching, bleeding, ulceration signifies an atypical change.

As you had dysplastic nevi and there is family history of melanoma, it becomes imperative that you book an appointment with a dermatologist or a surgeon so that the doubtful mole can be excised and sent for biopsy. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Hope that answers your query. Wish your brother a speedy recovery. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E