Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

196 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Heavy menstrual bleeding with stomach pain. What could be the reason?

Answered by
Dr. Arif N Khan


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 1279 Questions

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Here is my situation maybe u can help.... For a lil over a month now my period will start and last for a few days and I will bleed very heavy ( more than usual ) then it will stop for a couple days, then start again and so on. I have also had a bad pain in my stomach that will never go away. It almost feels like a hunger pain but then when I eat something I can only take a few bites before I feel full. I also fill a lil nausea often. I also am constipated for days then get diarrhea.......
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly reply few questions. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Kindly reply few questions so that I can guide you further: do you have any associated painful menstruation? are you sexually active? if yes have you undergone any PAP smear? have you ever investigated for the same symptoms previously, any scan reports? Awaiting your response, Regards , Arif
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Arif N Khan 16 minutes later
Yes menstrAtion is painfull (cramping like usual) I am not sexually active. The research I have done suggests std's and I have tested neg. to all of them and have not had intercourse since. It's been about a yr since my last pap.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 14 hours later
Brief Answer: You need a scan to know the exact pathology. Detailed Answer: Hi, I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, after analyzing your history your problem is clinically known as MENORRHAGIA and DYSMENORRHOEA . Considering your age I feel it could be due to adenomyosis or fibroid uterus or thyroid abnormality. Presently I suggest you to get a baseline haemoglobin level (to rule out anaemia), thyroid function test (T3, T4 and TSH-thyroid stimulating hormone) and a scan pelvis to know the exact pathology , and if the scan shows any small fibroid or focal adenomyosis you can be given mefenamic acid + tranexamic acid combination drugs or EHAMSYLATE combination for decreasing the bleeding and pain during the menstruation. Also cyclical combined oestrogen and progesterone tablets can be considered for few cycles (may be for 3 to 6 months). Kindly take iron supplementation for building up the haemoglobin. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Adenomyosis

doctor1 MD

Hello, less than two months ago I was admitted to the hospital for severe abdominal pain, lower back pain, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Thought it was IBS flaring up or worse, cancer. Then to my surprise, every test came back normal except a pelvic MRI. I had been diagnosed in the ER a week before with a bladder infection and treated with antibiotics. I did not have a bladder infection. I know what they feel like and that was not a bladder infection. My symptoms were not even female related. Fast forward to biopsy for adenomyosis. Soooooo painful, yet came back normal . At the time I had severe lower back pain and pelvic pain and bloating. I am waiting to get in to see another OB/GYN as the one I currently have suggested Mirena. Not going to happen. Now I once again have severe back pain, pelvice pain and am bleeding heavily and have blood clots. Do I need a hysterectomy??? I am 50 years old and have still been getting my period. Please help. Thank you. Tanya

doctor1 MD

As requested I am attached my medical reports.

doctor1 MD

Please find the report n let me know what is there on it.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have severe lower abdominal pain (menstrual) on left side since two nights. But, the periods have not started yet. Based on earlier gynaecologist advice, I have used IMOL PLUS and MEFTALGESIC. Even then, pains didn t stop. I am facing this...

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, My wife is suffering from Adenomyosis for past four years, She has taken alopathy, ayurveda, Homeo and now with sidda, She was completely following doctors advice and went on continuing a tretment for few months before switching over to other. But no use suffering from lot of pain. please advise

doctor1 MD

I have had the implanon for nearly 12months, past 2 months I have had a period every week, only for a few days, it is dark brown, clotty, and causes terrible cramps, I have also noticed my stomach has been bloated (never normally bloated and not changed diet in any way) I am a healthy size 8 so can't put it down to lifestyle. I have been off food, with a constant sick feeling, but terribly thirsty.

doctor1 MD

My GYN is suggesting an uterine ablation for an enlarged uterus and thickened lining of 1.8. I read that most people gain weight. I don't want to do that. Is that normal to gain weight because I have been gaining weight since I have been so irregular with bleeding.