Heavy drinker, has severe mood swings,mixes anti depressants with duramine. Are mood swings effect of drug ?
I have a friend who is mixing anti depressants with duramine. THE FACTS - He is also quite a heavy drinker which i believe is contradictive to the reasons he is taking the duramine (weight loss). he is usually quite a hyperactive person and has been prescribed the anti depressant to calm him down. he is not a very active person and does not participate in any exercise. he is also in a high position within his company, therefore can be very stressful for him.
He has severe mood swings and does not seem to be able to focus like he used too and does not even seem to know that this is even happening. he is damaging relationships both at work and at home and can not understand that he may be the one causing this, therefore blames everyone else.
Are these mood swings, and refusal to self criticise be a side affect from the combination of drugs and alcohol he uses???
Thanks for the query.
Duromine contains phenteramine used for weight loss. I need to know the name of antidepressant before commenting its interaction with others.
However, the mood swings and other symptoms that are referred to could be because of
1. Cyclothymia where rapid fluctuation of mood from low to high several times day/week/month.
2. Adult onset attention deficit hyperactive disorder where a combination of inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity occur.
3. Could be a part of substance dependence like alcohol.
4. Could be a part of depression.
5. Could be a part of any personal family issues like any marital problem or general dissatisfaction with life.
This is the possibilities that all have their treatments with medications and counseling. But before this it needs a detailed psychiatric assessment, which should be done in your case.
And moreover clients with some issues as mentioned above are vulnerable to use alcohol and combination of both will worsen each other.
Hope this addresses your concern for your friend.
I am available for further discussion.
Wish your friend a good luck.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the side effects of stopping anti-depressants suddenly
- Anti depressant drugs
- Can oxi elite pro give me mood swings if i am on anti depressants
- Are anti-depressants addictive and do they cause side effects
- Anti-depression tablets side effects
- Effects of marijuana and anti depressents
- Side effects off anti depressents
- Taking diethylpropion suggest a safe and effective anti- depressant
- Side effect of anti depressant
- Does deplin really work to enable anti depressants to become more effective