Heavy bleeding with intense cramps. Not getting relief from mefenamic acid. What should I do?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I am on the pill for intense pain during my period. I take three months back to back then go off for a week. Normally have it for about 5 days, pain for the first three, then everything dies down. I finished my period three weeks ago. Started up taking my pill again and 9 days ago started bleeding again quite heavily and pretty intense cramps through out the day, everyday since. I have a prescription for Mefenamic Acid (250mg) for the pain, but for this it doesn't seem to work as well as it does for when I get my period regularly. Doesn't seem to have any of my normal signs of stopping. Should I go see my doctor? Or is there something I can do for the pain until this stops?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
If mefenamic acid is not helping with the pain you are having and the bleeding is also heavy then you need stronger prescription medicines to control the both. The early bleeding that you are having is likely to be due to a hormonal imbalance.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid . Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of proper therapy.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.