Heart rate is 116. Is it good or bad?

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My heart rate is 116 is it bad
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
thanks for the query

Normal heart rate is less than 100 beats per minute. However, there are many physiological and normal instances in which an individual could develop an increase heart rate so as to XXXXXXX up with the body's demand. Such conditions include;
-physical exercise such as running, jogging, etc
-stress
-anxiety etc.
Most cases of increase heart rate are due to anxiety or fear of the unknown which is a normal body reaction to prepare the body for the unknown.

116 beats per minute is not that terrible and it will be advisable to retake the heart rate once you have rested and void of any stress.

Away from normal, increase heart rate could signify a host of diverse conditions that could be related to the heart, thyroid, adrenal glands etc that would necessitate a detail examination.

What you should do is that you retake your heart rate later if you have persistent higher rates then you will need an in dept evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query i will be glad to help.
Best regards