Heart jolts while trying to sleep. What could be causing this?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: There is something that is really worrying Most nights when i am trying to get to sleep my heart jolts It jolts enough to alert my partner lying next to me On occasions it has left me gasping for breath It seems to happen more when i eat food that is not easily digestible like steak and when i have had too much alcohol Perhaps it is a warning my body is not coping with my lifestyle Hope you can help again
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need proper clinical exam & investigations Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You didn't mentioned your age. You need proper clinical examination and investigations. Investigations include routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen,Chest X-ray(PA),ECG in all leads,ECHO. Further investigations can be done if needed. If these tests reports are normal then you shouldn't worry. Your symptoms need screening for diseases.You also need regular checkup. You should try to quit alcohol consumption.It is not good for health at all. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX