Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Heart has a measurement number of 25%. What does mean?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2580 Questions
My heart has a measurement number of 25%. What does that mean? My doctor said it should be 55%.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Underfunctioning heart...

Detailed Answer:

The pumping action of heart is measured in terms of Ejection Fraction (EF) percentage. Ejection fraction measured in normal individual is above 55%.

As per your Echocardiogram report, number of 25% means underfunctioning heart, a failing heart. Diabetes and high blood pressure may be directly responsible for under-functioning Or you might harbor other conditions such as ischemia.

Since stress test was not conclusive, your cardiologist would be the best person to decide whether you need further exploration. However if I were to be your treating doctor, I would start you on betablocker. Digoxin and water pill use might also be needed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor