Hearing problem with painful ear and started bleeding after picking earwax. Any suggestion?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi Dr XXXXXXX . I am XXXXXXX from brunei . I would like to know as my hubby has hearing problem recently . yesterday he dug his both ears with the cotton bud and he found it is difficult to roll in the cotton bud and he felt the pain and he slowly rolled in and both ear start to bleed . after that he can hear better than before . May i know what is your suggestion ?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 59 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The ear canal is easily injured while cleaning XXXXXXX ear wax as it is tortuous and not straight. Also the inner skin lining is very thin and delicate.

2. It seems that he has moved some ear wax plug which has made a difference to his hearing.

3. Get his ears examined by an ENT Specialist to rule out ear wax which is the commonest problem causing this.

4. If the block and hearing loss persists after cleaning, get a video-oto-endoscpopy, PTA (Pure Tone Audiometry) and an Impedance Audiometry (Tympanometry) done and share the reports here for further advice.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 minutes later
hi Dr XXXXXXX , thank you very much for your reply . i would like to know can he take antibiotic in this case . Will antibiotic helps ? what causes the ulcer in both ears ? he rolled the left ears and he felt the pain but he found something block and he try to role again and it start bleeding . the right ear also have the same problem . after that he can hear alot better than before . tq
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Antibiotics will only be required if there is an infection.

2. Get his ears examined and rule out ear wax buildup.

3. You may have to use ear wax dissolving drops before his ears can be cleaned. These drops usually contain antibiotics and anti-fungal medication.

4. First, get a Specialist opinion by direct ear examination.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 minutes later
Thank you very much DR XXXXXXX . I will get him to see the doctor as soon as possible . Once again thank you very much for your feedback
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

See to it that his ear is examined by an otoscope, video-otoscope or under a microscope.

Kindly share the findings here,

Wishing him a speedy recovery,

Regards.