Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Hearing loss. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2542 Questions
Husband Refuses to Admit He Cannot Hear! ===========================

Hi, Thank you so much to this forum. My husband refuses to admit he has a
hearing problem. It is SO frustrating to constantly have to repeat everything 3 and 4 times. I realize that you aren't miracle workers, but I was wondering if you have any suggestions that might help getting my husband in for testing?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Gradual progressive hearing loss is difficult to be aware of on our own.

2. He needs to undergo an ear examination by a local ENT Specialist to rule out common causes of hearing loss such as earwax buildup.

3. A PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) or at least Tuning Fork Tests will help estimate the extent of hearing loss, if any. Further tests may be required depending upon the type of hearing loss.

4. Hearing loss may also be age related (Presbyacusis) similar to failing near vision commonly seen after the age of forty.

5. Within the hearing range there are certain speech frequencies. Lack of hearing in these particular frequencies, leads to loss of clarity of speech even though speech and environmental sounds are heard.

6. You may share his test results here for further advice.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor