Heard popping sound while doing pushups and feeling pain. How to get relief?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was doing pushups and felt a pop
iny right shoulder and it colllasped in pain
Now I can't push out
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

From the description, it seems you might have developed shoulder muscle tear most likely deltoid muscle tear.

As you are already suffering from chronic shoulder problems, there might be possibility of tear in your shoulder muscle because of overly or abruptly stretched shoulder muscle during pushups.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination.

Meanwhile I advice you -

To give rest to your shoulder and arm. Stop doing pushups for some time.

Ice the affected shoulder for 20 minutes, then remove for 20 minutes. You can take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce inflammation and pain under supervision of your treating doctor.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery.
Regards.
Dr Saurbh Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E