Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Heard popping sound from stomach and lower rib area during physical work. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
i am 36 year old female,120 lb.During last 5or6 years sometimes during yoga,streches or physical work ,something would almost like pop out of my stomach/lower rib area,about 6" from sun area fallowing left rib.After slightly massaging it would go away or go back in.It is very painfull when that happens.The biggest popper looked like 6" alean.. :)10 days ago ,from nowhere the pain started and it is not going away. went to primary care,did XRay-ribs are not broken.Also I have undeveloped bottom rib on that side.I had no injury's.Now cough,sneeze,laugh,laying on the side hurts.Also I have a slight fever 99.6. If it's not you ,what specialist schould i turned to.
P.S. About 2 years ago doctor did ultrasound,they said no opening for hernia.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Since you have a undeveloped lower rib on the left side it is expected that the muscles in that region are going to be weak and underdeveloped. This area when exposed to high tension by virtue of exercising would lead to the development of an hernia. Your description that something is coming out and can be put back inside is typical of an hernia. Development of pain and discomfort signifies onset of complications. Any strain in the form of coughing or sneezing is also causing discomfort.Fever may not have a direct link to this problem.
I would suggest that you seek an opinion of a general surgeon who after a proper physical examination of the problem will be able to diagnose and advise further treatment.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor